Dr. Suren Manukyan, Head of the new UNESCO Chair on Education and Prevention of Genocide and Other Atrocity Crimes at Yerevan State University (YSU) speaks about the establishment of the chair, the goals and objectives in raising awareness about genocides and contributing to the formation of global policies aimed at condemning and preventing genocides.
Each year, UNESCO selects a number of projects in various countries to establish chairs that promote international inter-university cooperation and networking to enhance institutional capacities through knowledge sharing and collaborative work.
Since 2017, Dr. Manukyan has been the head of the Department of Genocide Studies at YSU, Institute for Armenian Studies, as well as head of the Department of Comparative Genocide Studies of the Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute (AGMI) since 2018. He served as Deputy Director of AGMI from 2007-2018 and is an adjunct lecturer at the American University of Armenia.
- The path to the establishment of the UNESCO Chair on Prevention of Genocide and Other Mass Atrocities at Yerevan State University.
- Genocide scholars, researchers and genocide education in Armenia.
- The absence of genocide research and scholarship in the Soviet period.
- The recent adoption by the UN Human Rights Council of the Resolution on Prevention of Genocide sponsored by the Republic of Armenia.
- The importance of genocide education in Armenia and the need for new tools to educate the public.